Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Summer Reading--mostly books for adults


The Scent of Secrets by Jane Thynne
World War II spy thriller, light on the thrills, starring a half fictional half-British actress who loves Germany, but hates what the Nazis are doing to it.  Her profession allows her access to the high echelons of Nazi society, which she uses to gather intelligence.  Of course, there are a couple of brief romantic entanglements, some nail-biting, and the British agent who got away.  Overall, enjoyable if not overly complicated.




The Knockoff by Lucy Sykes and Jo Piazza
More light fair for the beach.  This too-good-to-be-true heroine is a fortyish magazine editor whose former assistant returns to the magazine to be the mean-girl-in-chief.  Totally unbelievable, first that a fortyish magazine editor could be so technologically challenged, and second that the psychotic assistant could manage to manipulate everyone so effectively when she is clearly insane.  However, it is fun to read about the rich and privileged and imagine what life would be like if all your problems could be solved so easily—and you always had the perfect outfit and the perfect hair.  It definitely doesn’t live up to the hype, but consider it a guilty pleasure.



 Palace of Treason by Jason Matthews
Sadly, I found this disappointing.  It was billed as a spy thriller with lots of plot twists and turns.  Written by a former field agent, I was expecting grit, puzzles, analysis.  What I got was a bunch of spies falling into bed with each other and claiming that the infidelity didn’t matter since they were serving a greater good, or some such rot.  I am supposed to feel sympathy for the main male character who cannot keep his trousers zipped up?  Please.  If I wanted to read about that, I would have picked up a classic Ian Fleming novel.  The only reason I finished it was so I could write a scathing review.  I will not be fooled into reading Matthews again, former agent or no.  If this is really what the CIA is up to, no wonder we never know what is going on.

The Truth and Other Lies by Sascha Arango
Finally, something edgy, clever, and not the least bit condescending.  The unreliable narrator will keep you guessing until long after you close the book.  When we meet Henry, he is in the midst of a crisis.  His mistress is pregnant, but he likes being married to his wife, who incidentally, is the author of all the books that have made him a famous author.  What’s a fellow to do?  Read the book and find out.  You might be confused, but you won’t be disappointed.




 
The End of Men and the Rise of Women by Hanna Rosin
A nonfiction selection that I picked up because of the title.  I thought is seemed a little confrontational.  The text is less so.  Ms. Rosin posits that women are doing better than men in the new economy and that feminists have yet to acknowledge or see it.  I have a surprise for her; I have yet to see it either.  There may be some women at the top end of the spectrum who are doing better, but most of the women I know are still struggling to make less than men, doing more housework and childcare than men, and have less free time than men.  I don’t know, maybe if you are under 30 and have a “big” career, but for most of us regular women, I doubt.  However, she does have some interesting ideas about the future of marriage and family, which are worth reading about.  She does a good job presenting her evidence, and the title is not really indicative of what the book is about.  It is not a “down with men” manifesto, but rather a thoughtful account of the changing nature of gender roles and how we are all adjusting to the new normal. 

Circling the Sun by Paula McLain
I read this because I loved The Paris Wife, McLain’s last big novel.  I loved this one less.  First of all, I found the leading lady, Beryl Markham, much less appealing.  Her willingness to have an affair with Denys Finch-Hatton while she was supposedly friends with Karen Blixen made her completely anathema to me.  I know we don’t have to always like the main character, but in this case, without liking her, or really any of the other people in the book—her mean-spirited husband, her “friends” who were all spoiled debutantes and dandies, there wasn’t really much to hang my hat on.  At least I could root for Hadley and hate Ernest.  In Circling the Sun, I didn’t care whether she crashed the plane or not, I just wanted the insipidness to stop.  Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed in this one, both because I had read and liked this author before, but also because I had been led to believe by other reviewers that this was a great read.  Not so much.
The writing was beautiful, but I couldn’t enjoy it without a good story.


No comments:

Post a Comment